Follow these 6 steps to help make sure your baby’s formula is properly prepared.
1. WASH your hands and all supplies.
2. POUR the desired amount of cold tap water or bottled water into a clean bottle. Ask your baby’s doctor if you need to use cooled, boiled water and if you need to boil (sterilize) bottles, nipples, and rings before use.
3. ADD 1 level scoop of formula (not packed down) per 2 fl oz of water to the bottle and tighten the lid.
- Keep water out of the powder container and keep the scoop dry. Return the scoop to the powder container and close securely.
- Follow package instructions for proper storage.
- Note that preparations will differ for ready-to-feed and concentrated liquid formulas; please see the directions and preparation instructions on those product labels.
4. SHAKE the bottle gently until the powder is dissolved.
5. If desired, WARM the bottle with tap water or a bottle warmer. Never microwave.
6. TEST the bottle temperature by dripping a few drops on your wrist. Once the formula is warmed, it should be used immediately. Throw out any prepared or ready-to-feed formula that's been sitting out for 2 hours or more, or within 1 hour from the start of feeding so that bacteria don’t grow.
Remember to CLEAN, RINSE, AND DRY the bottle, nipple and ring thoroughly between feedings.
For more about how to make a bottle, visit similac.com/formulaprep